Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Recipe - Acorn Squash

Last night I made my first acorn squash.  I purchased it for $1.30, a good price compared to other sides and vegetables.  At first I was hesitant, thinking it was difficult to cook.  However, to my surprise, it was as easy as microwaving a baked potato and was ready to eat in less than 15 minutes.  I served it with BBQ chicken breast and a side of sauteed spinach with mushrooms.  The entire meal from start to finish was less than 20 minutes.  It cost less than $4 per person. 

Squash will replace your typical carbohydrate (rice, pasta, or potato) at the meal. It is a good source of vitamin C, fiber, beta carotene (yellow/orange color) potassium, magnesium and phytonutrients. Also it has a lower glycemic load compared to other carbohydrate sources. 

I started with this recipe, but made some alterations.

-  Choose light butter/margarine instead of full fat regular butter - saves you 100 calories per tablespoon
-  Used  Agave Syrup instead of Honey - agave syrup still contains the calories, however is a slower release carbohydrate that is  kinder on your blood glucose levels
-  Added a good dash of cinnamon to each squash half

No comments:

Post a Comment