Thursday, May 5, 2011

Success Story: An interview with S.T.

I had the pleasure of interviewing S.T. about her success after bariatric surgery. She had her surgery in September of 2009 and has lost 103 pounds. She continues to lose weight weekly. S.T. will be speaking at support group on 5/9/11 at 6 pm.

T: Why did you decide to have Lap Band surgery?
S: I had tried everything and I needed to do something that was well researched and had minimal invasiveness.

T: What were your goals and expectations before the procedure?
S: They were high, but the preoperative classes helped me understand that I had to work hard to do my part.

T: How has your life changed after bariatric surgery?
S: I have increased energy and decreased fatigue. I am not as irritable. My breathing has improved and I do not need my asthma medication as much. It was the best decision I have ever made and if I could do it all over again I would.

T: What are the keys to your success?
S: I follow the rules, but not eating and drinking at the same time has been most helpful. At first I lost only 30 pounds and the weight kept going up and down. I was losing it much slower than I wanted. Then I spoke with Dr. Shayani who suggested I drink before I eat (not when I eat) or when I was hungry. Six months ago I took his advice and my appetite when down and I started losing weight.

It was important for me to focus on only 10 pounds at a time instead of my overall goal. When I looked at the big picture and the amount of weight I had to lose I would get depressed. Breaking it into 10 pound increments helped me feel like I was doing something and I became more focused.

The other key that has been important for me was to start exercising. I work out at least three days a week at the gym or with a video. Total body exercises have helped me to tone. In the summer I walk 3.5 miles outside.

T: I know you are busy, how do you fit in your workouts?

S: I work forty hours a week so it was tough. I get up early at 4:30 am because I learned that if I wait until after work it would not get done. It started with motivation, and now that I can walk I want to keep it going. I consider exercise personal time to focus on myself. I enjoy listening to my music and it is nice not to think about kids, college or bills. It is great.

T: Do you have any advice for someone who is stuck or frustrated with their progress after surgery?
S: Yes. Go back to the beginning and look at everything we learned. This includes no eating and drinking at the same time and cutting out junk from your diet.

T: What are some of the changes that you have made to be successful?
S: I have two kids in college and a senior in high school who still lives at home. They are all athletic and have helped me to eat healthier. Kool Aide, sweets and junk food are no longer in our home. I save desserts for special occasions only. Every week I like to try at least one new recipe. My favorite thus far has been parmesan tilapia. I increased the amount of fish chicken and turkey that I make and no longer fry foods.

T: Do you eat out?
S: I used to eat out every day. Now we only eat out one time per week. Champs is my favorite place to go. I typically order s sample platter. It is not the healthiest food, but now I can treat myself because I worry less about weight gain. There is a lot less guilt now compared to when I dieted.

No comments:

Post a Comment