Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Learning Curve of Cooking


It never ceases to amaze me when I hear “I don’t cook.” If one does not cook, then one must eat out or piece together a meal of highly processed items that are typically microwavable. As I have mentioned before, to move forward one must abandon old ways of thinking and behaving. One of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting to get a different result. This same thought applies for weight loss and health. If one does not lose weight or become healthy by eating out every day before bariatric surgery, then one should not expect to lose or maintain a significant amount of weight after bariatric surgery.

I have to admit that I am no different than my clients. Cooking, preparing and planning are no easier for a dietitian than anybody else. It is falsely believed that a degree in dietetics absolves RDs from following the same guidelines. As many of you know, knowing does not imply doing. To do, one must take action by applying what is known.

After completing a masters degree, I had to recommit to eating out less by preparing healthy and delicious meals. Last Saturday afternoon, I dragged out a new cookbook, by a famous Food Network chef, and choose three new recipes to try. I assumed that the Food Network chef had fail-proof recipes, but I was wrong.

Anytime we try something new there is room for error, but we cannot let it drag us down. After spending money, time and effort on my new menu items, I was highly disappointed. Only 1 out of the 3 recipes I tried was actually good. The other two were HORRIBLE! I was disappointed, disheartened and upset. At least when you get food from your favorite restaurant you know it will taste good no matter how bad it is for you!

However, this cannot be an excuse to return to old habits. Even the best will fail. I am putting the cookbook back on half.com hoping to earn my money back to buy a new cookbook.

Cooking can be learned at any age. All you have to do is try. Over time it will get easier and tastier! Check the blog next Monday, 5/2, to learn tips on cooking, planning and grocery shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment